Celebrities including Ruth Negga and Barry Jenkins registered protest against US President Donald Trump’s travel ban at the 89th Academy Awards ceremony here by wearing blue ribbons.
A number of Oscar nominees have thrown their support behind the organisation who first challenged Trump’s travel ban.
The award gala is being held at Dolby Theatre here on Sunday.
The blue ribbon represents the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and is part of their new initiative titled Stand With ACLU.
Irish-Ethiopian star Ruth Negga, who is up for Best Actress for her role in “Loving”, was first on the red carpet and sported the political accessory on her red Valentino dress, reports telegraph.co.uk.
Negga was followed by the “Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda and his mother who both wore the pin. Miranda is nominated for writing music and lyrics for “How far I’ll go” from animated movie “Moana”.
Director of best film nominee “Moonlight”, Barry Jenkins, was also spotted with the blue bow pinned to his suit.
The ACLU was among the first to launch a legal challenge following Trump’s travel ban, which bars people from seven Muslim-majority countries entering America.
Other stars with blue ribbons were — Karlie Kloss, Casey Affleck and Benj Pasek.
All you need to know about US President’s immigration order
Federal court action
Judge James Robart of the federal district court in Seattle on Friday ordered the nationwide suspension of the President’s order.
His ruling stands until the court can study a complaint filed by the Washington state attorney general, Bob Ferguson. Critics, including Ferguson, say the measure unfairly targets Muslims.
Federal judges in several other states — notably California and New York — have also ruled against Trump’s executive order, but Robart’s ruling has by far the greatest sweep.
Trump attacked the judge in a string of fiery Twitter posts on Saturday.
“The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!” the president wrote.
Travel ban lifted… for now
“Those individuals with visas that were not physically cancelled may now travel if the visa is otherwise valid,” a State Department spokesperson said on Saturday.
And the Department of Homeland Security, which has authority over border police, said it was reverting to “standard policy and procedure”.
Was the federal ruling unusual?
Not really. The suspension of Trump’s order is reminiscent of the reaction to Barack Obama’s executive order of November 2014, which sought to protect from deportation more than four million undocumented immigrants who had been in the country for at least five years.
A federal judge in Texas ruled that Obama had overstepped his powers and blocked the order’s implementation. That decision survived an appeal and reached the Supreme Court. Obama ultimately had to give in on what had been a key measure of his second term.
Late Saturday, the Justice Department officially challenged Robart’s ruling.
The Trump administration filed an emergency motion with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals saying that suspending the ban was causing “irreparable harm” to the American public.
It also argued that Robart had run afoul of constitutional separation of powers, and “second-guesses the President’s national security judgment”.
If the appeals court upholds Robart’s ruling, the case could go to the Supreme Court, said Peter Spiro, a law professor at Temple University in Philadelphia.
“It could go very, very fast,” he added.
But for now, the Justice Department is operating without a permanent boss: Jeff Sessions, Trump’s pick as US attorney general, has yet to be confirmed by the full Senate.
Ban remains crippled
Early Sunday morning, the federal appeals court rejected the government’s request to immediately reinstate the travel ban.
Judges William Canby Jr. and Michelle Friedland did not give a reason in their two-paragraph ruling.