Sonam Kapoor’s life changed on the professional front after Neerja happened to her. However, the change wasn’t just restricted to that. The film has managed to leave a deep impact on her personal life too. As Neerja , the film turns one today, a nostalgic Sonam Kapoor took to social media to express her views on the same.
She shared two movie posters of Neerja and one of the pic’s caption reads: “We all have fears, I have several and I only learnt how to acknowledge my fears and to conquer them because of Neerja. This movie changed my life. As Rajesh Khanna’s character Anand says ” zindagi lambi nahi badi honi chahiye”.
I hope my life means something and I hope I let go of my fears and learn to appreciate and enjoy what I have. I’m grateful for everything.” and we couldn’t agree more!
For all those who have watched the film would know of Neerja Bhanot’s bravery. Its a real-life based hijack drama revolving around brave heart air hostess Neerja Bhanot’s self-sacrifice to save her flight’s passengers.
Here’s some of the unknown facts about Neerja Bhanot.
1. Born to Rama Bhanot and Harish Bhanot in Chandigarh, Neerja Bhanot was first spotted by a magazine at the age of 16. Her beauty and talent led her to become a supermodel. She was featured in many advertisements.
2. Neerja tied the knot in 1985 and moved to Gulf. But the marriage didn’t work out and she returned to her parent’s home in Mumbai within a couple of months.
3. Her family members lovingly called her ‘Laado’. Indeed she proved to be a favourite of all by her heroic act.
4. Neerja applied for the position of a flight attendant with Pan Am. She went to Miami for training and successfully returned as a purser (chief flight attendant).
5. The hijackers of Pan Am Flight 73 asked Neerja to collect the passports of all the passengers so that they could identify the Americans. Smartly, she hid the passports of the Americans and saved their lives.
6. Neerja was shot by bullets only some hours before her 23rd birthday which was 7th September.
7. As a tribute to this brave soul, the Indian Postal Service released a stamp in 2004. She was also the youngest recipient of the prestigious Ashok Chakra award.
8. There’s a square called Neerja Bhanot Chowk which is named after her in Ghatkopar, Mumbai.
9. For her fearless act, Neerja was recognised internationally as ‘The Heroine of the Hijack’.
10. Neerja’s mother saw a striking resemblance in Sonam Kapoor and Neerja Bhanot. Before the filming of the movie, when Sonam Kapoor met her mother, she said, “Yeh toh meri Laado hi hain”.
#SonamKapoor #Bollywood #Neerja